Monday, May 17, 2010

Inspiration equals motivation

This stunning Persimmon tree above, is the inspiration for a new tea cosy. Every year I say I will take a photo of this tree and sadly the fruit disappears and I still haven't taken a picture.

It's an old gnarled tree and a few metres away there is another one. You can see where cattle have 'pruned' the bottom of the canopy to a nice even shape.

As the leaves fall, the fruit hangs on the tree and on foggy, winter days the orange persimmons glow like bright orange orbs in the mist, just stunning.

This year both trees are laden with fruit, but the crows soon eat it. The land is private property so it is hard to get a decent picture of it, but I am happy with this.

I would like a photo of it 'glowing ' in the fog, so shall have my camera and boots ready to head out and snap some pictures.

Here is the tree, it's covered in beautifully coloured leaves with a carpet underneath.

Click on the photo to enlarge. I usually stick with black thread for my embroidery using fabric and scraps for the colour. Obviously this wasn't going to work with small objects like leaves.

I'm really happy with the picture and now all I have to do is finish the other side which will have an appropriate saying.

Sometimes it's good to step outside your comfort zone and try something new. You might just surprise yourself!

Uploaded in the wrong order!

The tree shortly after beginning. Don't you just love that feeling when something comes together just as you imagined it?

Our Maples along the driveway continue to colour up nicely. They are probably at their peak now and when the sun is shining on them, it's just brilliant.
A couple of more book covers:- the one above is of dried Agapanthus stems. They make great dried arrangements. Once all the flowers have fallen off the lime green stems look spectacular.Gradually, they fade to a parchment colour, I used black so that they would stand out.
Another butterfly cover with a quote from Hans Christian Anderson :- "Just living is not enough", said the butterfly "one must have sunshine, freedom and a little flower"

I wonder if that flower could be a Zinnia?


These little treasures are a bit early, but nonetheless very welcome in my garden. I love Jonquils and while some people may find their scent a bit overpowering, I love it. It makes me think of Winter/Spring and I love to bring them indoors and let their beautiful perfume waft through the house.


This is a vary rare photo. The gorgeous little grey cat was a stray who adopted us and it took many years before I could get near her and pat her. Alot of patience and cat treats were required. Here she is with the 'love of her life' Tigger.

She is still very shy and usually sleeps on a dining chair underneath the table, but I placed her on the ottoman and she was very happy to curl up by her mate and even let me take a couple of snaps.

Not bad being a cat, you get to sleep alot, play eat fish and curl up in front of the heater. Life could be worse.

I hope you all had a good weekend and I hope that the week ahead holds some time for you to be creative and enjoy the beauty around you.

Until next time, thanks for stopping by and saying 'hi'

Claire X

5 comments:

  1. Loved everything about this post...trees...art..flowers and most of all cats!! Have a lovely week ;-)

    your friend,
    Janet xox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Your new tea cozy and book covers look so wonderful!!! Yes, I THink that flower is a zinnia! :-)
    Our cats have a similar hard life.... sleeping all day and pouncing on toy mice.
    Happy birthday to your son! He is nearly the same age as mine. (also 19, will turn 20 in Sept.) We just moved him home for the summer. Has just completed his first year of university. He told me yesterday that he has "cool parents". Us? what? LOL, we never would have heard that from him a year ago. I guess when they go away for a year they learn to appreciate us a bit more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Claire - another great blog. I love the intricate embroidery you have done on that tea cosy - absolutely lovely. would love to see a picture of that persimmon fruit when it grows.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the persimmon tree, we had one just like it! Also love the agapanthus.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are so clever, I would love to be able to machine embroider, shame you arent a bit closer I bet we would have a lovely day together chatting and you could be my teacher...he he :)...I love the book cover witht the jug and flower stems...(I am am trying to type without my specs so hope I am not making mistakes) They have similar ones in a shop near me with little houses and camper vans...I think they are lovely, but not as nice as yours...every blessing H

    ReplyDelete

Life's busy isn't it?......thanks for taking the time to leave a comment.
I love hearing from you and will reply via email unless you are set up as a
'no reply blog'
in which case I will reply here on the comments page...♥

Thankyou xx